About Big Green Gourmet:

Welcome to Big Green Gourmet. Sam, I am and I am dedicated to improving your meals here at Dartmouth. This blog serves mainly to provide you with easy to follow recipes, which can be made using the food you get from DDS. My aim is to come up with new ways to eat the same food you've been eating, create some delicious dishes and encourage you to improvise beyond your standard Joe-Yo. BGG (Big Green Gourmet- for those of you who catch on rather slowly) is the place to go when you want to shake up your DDS selections. Leave comments about new recipes, improving the blog, or anything really…

Bon appetite!

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Protest

I recognize that a post is well overdue. I was off this summer, and couldn't post at all this fall. Cue the explanation… To tell you the truth, I really miss blogging. But, what I miss more is eating quality food on campus at an affordable price. I started writing Big Green Gourmet as a fun experiment. I enjoyed creating exciting food out of what DDS had to offer, and finding thrifty shortcuts for cool new dishes. Unfortunately, The Class of '53 Commons new FoCo and SmartChoice WhoseChoice? meal plan have made my job extremely difficult. New FoCo has eliminated two dining halls that used to have a variety of raw ingredients, food made to order, and cooking appliances in an attempt to provide students with "more" options. While I acknowledge that the new dining hall has more complete dishes/meals prepared, I do not believe that it is successfully providing students with more options than they previously had. Additionally, I cannot sanction the waste produced by a facility that forces students to feel as though they must gorge themselves to get their money's worth. The increased expenses of dining at Dartmouth are dramatic, and as a student who will not waste food, and cannot waste money, I am appalled. Continuing my experiment has been made impossible by DDS changes. I rarely eat at FoCo because the food is poor quality, my options are limited, and I no longer have the resources to make my own dishes (without wasting a ton of food). I would like to say that I'll continue making dishes at Collis or the Hop, but I am very much bound by the new higher prices and tight restrictions of meal exchanges (worth less than I paid for them). For better or worse, DDS has changed, and I am without means of continuing my project. Consider this post a protest against our "improved" dining hall and meal plan. Until substantive changes are made to counteract these "improvements" I will not be posting. Hopefully, this isn't goodbye.


-Sam, I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment