About Big Green Gourmet:

Welcome to Big Green Gourmet. Sam, I am and I am dedicated to improving your meals here at Dartmouth. This blog serves mainly to provide you with easy to follow recipes, which can be made using the food you get from DDS. My aim is to come up with new ways to eat the same food you've been eating, create some delicious dishes and encourage you to improvise beyond your standard Joe-Yo. BGG (Big Green Gourmet- for those of you who catch on rather slowly) is the place to go when you want to shake up your DDS selections. Leave comments about new recipes, improving the blog, or anything really…

Bon appetite!

Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Eastern Burger

First week back, and already I can tell that this '53 Commons thing is going to spoil some of my recipes. So, sorry about that. I didn't really post as much as I wanted to last term, but I hope that this term will be different. To kick things off for 11S, I thought about doing a burger and decided that I also wanted to do something a little bit unusual. This is what I came up with…


You will need:

1 Hamburger

Lettuce

Tomato

Unflavored yogurt

Cucumbers

Onions

Onion rings

Cayenne pepper

Garlic powder

Cinnamon

Dark chili powder

Celery seed


This dish is a lot easier to prepare than it looks (the ingredients list is rather misleadingly long). You need to go to the grill at Foco (I refuse to call it '53 commons unless I am talking about it negatively) and get a hamburger with onions and a side of onion rings. Then, go to the salad bar and grab 5-6 cucumber slices. Finally, get yourself an unflavored yogurt. Once you have all of your ingredients you can prepare your burger. One of the things that makes the burger interesting in flavor is the spiced onion rings that go on it. To make them, simply sprinkle the above spices on the rings (only use a pinch of cinnamon, but don't be afraid of the others). Since a burger can be rather dry (especially one from '53 commons, note that I used the name negatively), I came up with a yogurt sauce to use in lieu of ketchup or mayo. Mix the onions into the yogurt. Then, cut the cucumbers into small pieces and put them in as well. Then, spread the mixture onto the bun and your burger is ready to go! As a great side, you have more spiced onion rings with your yogurt dipping sauce. Enjoy…



The Eastern Burger, courtesy of DDS and Sam, I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment