About Big Green Gourmet:

Welcome to Big Green Gourmet. Sam, I am and I am dedicated to improving your meals here at Dartmouth. This blog serves mainly to provide you with easy to follow recipes, which can be made using the food you get from DDS. My aim is to come up with new ways to eat the same food you've been eating, create some delicious dishes and encourage you to improvise beyond your standard Joe-Yo. BGG (Big Green Gourmet- for those of you who catch on rather slowly) is the place to go when you want to shake up your DDS selections. Leave comments about new recipes, improving the blog, or anything really…

Bon appetite!

Sunday, October 31, 2010

5 (-ish) Cheese Mac


(I hate that this picture is gross looking. I promise the dish looks way better in person and is awesome, and I mean that sincerely, not in that way a bro tries to explain why he can't find a good looking picture of that girl he hooked up with last night on Facebook) Hey guys! I hope you all had a wonderful triple-H weekend. Mine was very eventful, which is why I did not get the chance to post anything. Never fear Yessera (see guys, if you leave a comment I may even talk about you in a post, so post some comments), I did fix myself a wonderful meal that I would like to share with you all. Mac & cheese is about as common a snack in college as Keystone is common in a basement. My problem with the mac & cheese in college is that it's never delicious. Don't get me wrong, the Annie's I steal from my floormates and make at obscure times when it is not appropriate to be eating, but who cares its college, is good, and the Hop mac & cheese is alright (if you like ominously orange, luke-warm, mushy mac that has been sitting out for a while). You get the point, most mac & cheese in college does not taste as good as a home-baked mac & cheese, and it never has that wonderfully salty and browned layer of bread crumbs at the top (if you don't know what I'm talking about, then you have no idea what you're missing and you need to hit up Molly's for some mac @now- well not now, its after 1 am, but you get what I mean). So, I set out to come up with a recipe that is as close as you can get using DDS.


You will need:

Pasta

Alfredo sauce

Provolone cheese

Cheddar cheese (white and yellow, sliced and shredded, respectively)

Swiss cheese

Parmesan cheese

Feta cheese

Croutons


As you can see from the ingredients list and from the title, the dish has 5 (-ish) cheeses in it. I say (-ish) because I'm not entirely sure what is in alfredo sauce, but it seems creamy enough that it might conceivably have cheese in it. (It may shock you to learn that I am not a chef. I have no culinary experience; as a matter of fact, I can barely prepare ramen noodles, which is why my dishes don't actually require much cooking as much as they require adding, mixing reheating and of course eating) From the list of ingredients, you have probably guessed that you have to make this dish at Collis. What you want to do is grab a few plates, and by a few a really mean 4- seriously, you'll need them- and get on the (long) line for pasta. Then, ask for 2 scoops of pasta with alfredo sauce. While they are making that, go to the deli counter and get a slice of cheddar, provolone and swiss cheese. Then, head to the salad bar and get handful of croutons, approximately a fist-full of shredded cheese and a fist-full of feta cheese (if they have it… they don't always... it's not essential for the dish… moving on). After that, go get your pasta and some parmesan cheese (don't put it in the pasta, get one of the to-go condiment containers from the top of the salad bar). Once you have assembled your ingredients, head over to the microwave area. You need to first mix the shredded cheese and feta into the pasta and sauce. Then, rip the sliced cheese and mix it in as well. Do NOT add croutons or parmesan cheese. Put the pasta mixture into the microwave for 2 minutes (or until most of the cheese has melted), you are going to want to make sure you have all of your plates under the mixture to support it, because it is going to get hot and soggy (that sounds gross, but I didn't know how else to put it). While everything is microwaving, crush the croutons into crumbs with your hands and mix it with the parmesan cheese. Once most of the cheese has melted, remove your food and sprinkle the crumb-parmesan mixture onto the top of the mac. Then, put it back in for another 15 - 20 seconds. I was thinking about maybe throwing some meat into the mix (like a hamburger mac), but I haven't done a vegetarian item recently and I want to keep them (the vegetarians) happy. If you want to turn it into a mac with meat, then by all means go for it, it can't be bad. Seriously, there is NO way this dish could be bad (self-call, but it's true).


Dig in to the 5 (-ish) Cheese Mac by DDS and Sam, I am.

1 comment:

  1. this looks awesome. i know what i'm having for dinner tonight. thank you for vegetarian things... =]
    where easy things are concerned: coffee + chocolate soymilk = instant mocha. [and squeezing the crap out of the milk-box is cathartic.]

    ReplyDelete