About Big Green Gourmet:

Welcome to Big Green Gourmet. Sam, I am and I am dedicated to improving your meals here at Dartmouth. This blog serves mainly to provide you with easy to follow recipes, which can be made using the food you get from DDS. My aim is to come up with new ways to eat the same food you've been eating, create some delicious dishes and encourage you to improvise beyond your standard Joe-Yo. BGG (Big Green Gourmet- for those of you who catch on rather slowly) is the place to go when you want to shake up your DDS selections. Leave comments about new recipes, improving the blog, or anything really…

Bon appetite!

Monday, October 4, 2010

The Chicken & The Egg Taco Salad


Let me start by saying that this dish may only loosely be called a salad, because in reality there is very little that is healthy about this salad (unless you don't eat the taco shell and get it without rice or beans, but why on Earth would you ever do that?). One of the big problems that I have with food on this campus is that no matter what you get, it will never be truly spicy. No, even a buffalo chicken sandwich with volcano sauce will not satisfy this heat-seeking tongue. But, I understand that this is not the case for the general student body and so I make a concerted effort to provide you with recipes from which you may easily omit any of the spicy items that you can't handle. What is even rarer on this campus is finding something that is both fresh and spicy (read: fresh as in watery and crunchy in the re-fresh-ing sense). Typically speaking spicy food requires slimy hots or dry pepper flakes. So my goal in creating this meal was to come up with something filling and delicious that had unique flavors and some fresh spice (what you get when you mix a member of Three Six Mafia with one of the Spice Girls). This "salad," is one of the most delicious things that I have eaten on campus and I hope very much that you enjoy it.


You will need:

2 eggs

Beans

Rice

Shredded cheese

Buffalo chicken

Sour cream

Lettuce

Tomatoes

Onions

Olives

Carrots

Jalapenos (I don't know why I can't type a tilde into this field)

Fried tortilla bowl

Buffalo sauce

Vinegar


Clearly, this is the heftiest list of ingredients to date (although that really isn't saying much considering how long I've been posting). For this recipe, I'm going to recommend that you go to Courtyard @ The Hop. The only thing that is unfortunate about this plate is that (depending upon when you try to make it) it may take you a while because you have to wait on 2 different lines. If the lines are accommodating then I would recommend getting the salad first so that the eggs are HOT when you add them to the salad but, usually the line for the grill is longer and you probably don't want to hold on to your salad for that long just waiting. So, just do whatever you want in terms of the order that you get the items in. What you need to be sure of when you order the eggs is that you order them OVER EASY. I'm not sure if I can stress that enough, part of the beauty of this "salad" is that the egg yolks are runny and mix with the different dressings. In terms of the taco salad, you want to order a taco salad with buffalo chicken (instead of regular chicken), rice, beans, shredded cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, onions, olives, sour cream, buffalo sauce and the vinegar. I do NOT recommend getting guacamole or salsa on this salad because it makes it very liquid-y and we are not making a soup. The egg also does not mix very well with the salsa, and so it is inadvisable to get them both. Once you have all of your ingredients you want to toss the salad lightly. When I say lightly I mean that you want to toss it so that the different layers mix and the sauces become distributed through out the salad, I do not mean that you should stir your salad until no ingredient is distinguishable from the other. Then, you want to place your two eggs on top of the salad. At that point you should cut the eggs up to break the yokes over the top of the salad and then…


Feast upon The Chicken & The Egg Taco Salad brought to you by DDS and Sam, I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment